National Senior Health & Fitness Day is May 30! Get ready now by taking the necessary steps to protect your health as you grow older (and wiser, of course).
Check out these six tips for supporting sound body and mind:
1. Prevent falls. In your home: Keep high-traffic areas clear of rugs, cords and any other tripping hazards, keep hallways and bathrooms well-lit at night. Out and about: Wear supportive shoes and use a walking stick or cane, if you need one.
2. Stay active. Even for those with aching joints, the advice is still the same – get out there and get active! Whether it’s a bike ride or a leisurely dip in the pool, any amount of exercise you do can benefit your health.
3. See your doctor. Don’t skip important screenings – get your blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol checked often. Women, be sure to have your bone density tested at least once — and go in for a mammogram every 2 years after age 50. Men, don’t forget your yearly prostate exam. And both genders should schedule a colonoscopy every 5-10 years, depending on your personal or family history.
4. Stress less. You’ve heard about the “power of positive thinking” – well, it’s real! Staying calm, relaxed and positive can do wonders for people of all ages, but it may be especially important for seniors. Find a relaxing activity you enjoy, such as meditation, yoga or painting. Exercise can also be beneficial for staving off stress.
5. Get social. Facebook is great for connecting with your grandchildren, but you also need to make time for face-to-face social interactions, such as spending time with family, playing a game with friends, or volunteering at a local community center. Social activities can help fill your calendar and even more importantly, they can help promote a positive mood.
6. Eat your greens. You’ve told your kids and grandkids to eat their fruits and veggies a million times. If you haven’t yet (and we really hope you have), it’s time you follow your own advice. A diet rich in colorful fruits, vegetables and fresh herbs is vital for healthy aging.
Don’t forget – Vitacost.com is your source for all kinds of delicious healthy foods, vitamins, supplements and so much more (for less!).