Does it seem like everyone around you is suffering from the sniffles? Defend yourself from germs by following these six easy tips:
1. Hygiene: The best way to avoid getting sick is to practice good hygiene. Wash your hands before eating or touching your face, and after using the restroom, handling raw meat, coughing/sneezing or touching shared surfaces around the office, gym or out in public. If soap isn’t available, use hand sanitizer.
2. Avoidance: If possible, it’s best to avoid or minimize your contact with shared surfaces that may be teeming with germs. These include door handles, railings, elevator buttons, paper money and water fountains. (Read more about fighting germs in the office.)
3. Nutrients: Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, which are chock-full of immune-supporting vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Foods that can be especially helpful include garlic, yogurt, leafy greens and citrus fruits.
4. Exercise: Regular workouts are a great way to keep your immune system in tip-top shape. Be sure to avoid germs at the gym by washing your hands and wiping down machines before and after use.
5. Rest: Need an excuse to take a nap? Adequate rest, including 7-8 hours of sleep per night, can help your body recover from the stresses of the day. Naps and other relaxing activities (meditation, yoga, etc.) can also help your body recharge and support normal immune function.
6. Positive Thoughts: Don’t let stress or anxiety get you down ““ positive thinking not only helps you stay calm, studies have shown that a cheerful disposition can also promote overall health, by stimulating antibody response within the immune system!