A pearly white smile has become the most sought-after attribute since the days of plastering on piles of mascara for loooong eyelashes. A variety of products to help you get those gleaming white teeth are available, as are dentists specializing in transforming dingy yellow or stained teeth to snow white. But what many people don’t realize: What you eat and drink can make a dramatic difference in the health and appearance of your teeth.
Hoping to enhance your teeth? Consider the following:
- We love coffee and tea just as much as you ““ maybe more! But if you drink it black, you can stain your teeth just as easily as spilling that coffee on your pretty white skirt or new white pants. What to do: Add milk or a dairy substitute to that beverage, such as Eden Foods Organic Soymilk.
- Berries are great for your health, but they also can stain your teeth. Solution: Because they don’t stick to your teeth, it’s easy to remove the problem by using mouthwash, such as Xlear Spry or Tom’s of Maine.
- Foods that contain sugar can cause cavities ““ and those don’t add to the health of your teeth or their appearance. Sweeten your breath and satisfy your sweet tooth with good-for-your-dental health Xlear Spry Chewing Gum in flavors such as fruit.
- To naturally remove stains, eat fruits that boost your body’s production of salivia such as apples, pears and guavas. Try Bare Fruit Organic Apple Chips.
- Use sesame seeds to scrub away plaque naturally, such as Bob’s Red Mill Sesame Seeds.
- A holistic anti-inflammatory, ginger can improve your mouth tissue’s health. Try sprinkling ginger, such as Frontier Natural Products Ground Ginger Root, on yogurt or oatmeal.
- Go nuts: Along with cheese, meat, chicken and milk, nuts protect the enamel of your teeth by giving your body phosphorus and calcium, which are important in remineralizing your teeth. Try Best Of All Organic Almonds for snacks.
- Be sure to choose a good quality toothbrush, such as the Eco-Dent Terrandent.
- To help whiten your smile, try a whitening toothpaste that cleans your teeth while it whitens them, such as Jason Powersmile or Tom’s of Maine.
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com, Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- 6 Ways to Enjoy Nuts from Breakfast to Bedtime - July 28, 2014
- Garcinia Cambogia Plus Coffee Equals Vitacost’s New ‘Brew Slim’ - July 21, 2014
- Getting into the Zone Diet: How to Make it Work for You - July 14, 2014